CENTRAL GROUND WATER BOARD
Infrastructure Development Scheme
Under MOWR Infrastructure Developmen t(ID) Scheme two activities have been taken up:
1. Land and Building
Set-up own Office Buildings in order to minimize the Government expenditure on hiring of buildings for office, workshop, store etc., to avoid cost of litigation with landlords in rented buildings, curtail fuel expenditure (due to Offices being at different locations) etc. Modernization of Offices will bring about greater work efficiency. To provide better and healthy working conditions and to provide desirable environment. There will be a better coordination in Scientific & Engineering discipline Being Regional & Divisional Office at one place, avoid unwanted movement of vehicles between different rented offices. Considering all these aspects construction of the own buildings/structure is very essential.
Proposed Activities under ID Scheme
Following activities are proposed in ID Plan of CGWB during XII th Plan:-
Achievements during XIth Plan:-
- Construction of Building for Regional & Divisional Office at Guwahati.
- Construction of Boundary Wall & Building for Regional & Divisional Office at Ahmedabad.
- Construction of Building for Divisional Office, Workshop & Store at Ambala.
- Construction of Staff Qtrs for the employees of CGWB at Bhubaneswar.
- Construction of Divisional Workshop & Store at Bangalore.
- Construction of Divisional Office, Workshop & Store at Bhopal.
- Construction of Building for Regional & Divisional Office including Divisional Workshop & Store at Jammu.
- Construction of Building for Training Institute (RGI) at Raipur. Construction of Boundary Wall & Building for Divisional Office including Divisional Workshop & Store at Jodhpur.
- Construction of Boundary Wall & Building for Divisional Workshop & Store at Chennai.
- Land for construction of building at Ahmadabad (Region & Division), for Jammu (Region & Division including Workshop & Store), Chennai (For Workshop & Store), Bhubaneswar (for Staff Qtrs.), Raipur (for Rajiv Gandhi National Ground Water Training & Research Institute(RGI) and Jodhpur (for Office, Workshop & Store) has already been acquired.
- Construction of Building for Divisional Workshop & Store at Guwahati completed.
- Construction work of Building for Regional & Divisional Office at Guwahati, Divisional Office, Workshop & Store at Bhopal, Divisional Workshop & Store at Bangalore in progress. Construction of Boundary Wall on the land of CGWB at Ambala, Bhubaneswar & Jammu completed.
- Improved store management and reduced pilferage by providing adequate store infrastructure.
- Staff satisfaction due to enhanced availability of Government quarters in the field locations.
- Reduced cost of transportation in shifting of offices, store, workshops etc. from old hired building to new hired building.
- Reduced dependency on private accommodation which is difficult to get and thus, reduced litigations involved in private hired accommodation.
2. Information Technology Plan
Information Technology (IT) Plan is proposed to implement the minimum agenda for e-Governance and the decisions of the Government of India on the recommendations of Expert Group for promoting computerization of the information on Personal & Citizen Services. At present most of the processes are manual. Though Personal Computers, LAN and Internet have been provided at Central Head Quarters Office, Regional, Divisional and Unit Offices, but the use of IT is either limited to World Processing/ Spread-Sheets or small independent databases/ applications. The lack of linkage between different processes is limiting the use of IT. Considering the multifarious activities of CGWB, the use of IT is very little, the basic functioning., administrative set-up & management is still rudimentary.
It has been envisaged to established an enterprise wide, unified, single window web based System where in a centralised repository of data, documents, work flow and knowledge would be created using Internet and Warehousing Technologies/ tools and applications. A unified/ standardized web based environment would translate the capabilities of the IT into e-Governance. Unified/ Consolidated and centralized repository along with associated applications would realize the concept of the “less-paper” office. Easy access to information would facilitate collaborative processing and team-work. For the senior level officers the information would be available in the form of ‘Dash Boards’.
During XI Five Plan, development of three backend processes namely Administrative and financial Management, Drilling Operations Management and Material Management were taken up along with procurement of personal computers and peripherals. During XII Plan these applications would be integrated and linked to centralised repository of data, documents, knowledge and workflow.
The IT Plan would be implemented through NIC as a ‘Collaborative Project’.
Proposed Activities under IT Plan
Following activities are proposed in IT Plan of CGWB:
- Development of enterprise wide, unified, System for creation of centralised repository of data, documents, knowledge and workflow.
- Procurement of Hardware, Software, Networking Equipment & Peripherals
- Capacity Building
- Operation and Maintenance
Each of the above activity is briefly described below
Development of enterprise wide, unified, System for creation of centralised repository of data, documents, knowledge and workflow.
Spill over activities of XI Plan
Design, development and implementation of standardized Administrative and Financial Management, Drilling Operations Management and Material Management was taken up during the XI Plan. Due to late start the implementation, operationlisation and training activities would not be completed during XI Plan and would be be taken up during XII Plan period.
Design, Development of enterprise wide, unified, System for creation of centralised repository of data, documents, knowledge and workflow.
Development of enterprise wide, unified, centralised repository of data, documents, knowledge and work flow would be taken up in collaboration with NIC. All work flow processes would be integrated/ interlinked to form a collaborative work space for improving efficiency and transparency in the working. This would help in harnessing the information and knowledge resources, in order to achieve quantum improvements in effectiveness, efficiency and output. It would automate functions at all levels with intensive workflow systems providing a collaborative environment supported with document management, workflow management and knowledge management systems. The workflow management system would prioritize work by importance to subject areas and ensure that critical tasks are completed in time by repeated reminders issued by prioritization rules. Dash Board’s would provide up to date information to senior officers for effective monitoring and management.
Degitisation of Documents
All available documents, record files, personal files, service books, etc. is proposed to be converted into a digital document library. The document library would be integrated with central repository for online work flow.
Procurement Hardware, Software, Networking Equipment and Peripherals.
Procurement of Servers, software and peripherals for data center and DR site
Due to non availability of space at NIC Data Center, it is proposed to establish a Data Center(DC) at CGWB, CHQ, Faridabad and a Disaster Recovery ( DR) site at CGWB, Regional office, Bangalore. Web server and Data/ application server along with associated Operating System, Systems Software and tools would be installed at DC & DR for Data Storage and Access through Internet.
Procurement of Data Base software and tools
Data base software, data warehousing tools/ data mining tools along with associated development tools would be procured and installed at DC and DR.
Procurement of Networking Equipment and Tools
LAN at CHQ, Faridabad would be strengthened and additional high speed switch along with accessories and software would be installed at DC and DR. LAN along with requisite networking equipment would be installed in all the Regional/ Divisional/ SUO offices of CGWB . High speed leased line along with back up high speed broad band connectivity would be installed at CHQ, Faridabad. All Regional offices would be connected through leased line/ high speed broad band.
Procurement of Personal Computers, software and peripherals
For creation of digital collaborative work space a PC is required at every Desk in the work flow system, it is therefore, proposed to provide Personal Computers to every officer/ official up to Office Superintendent level and at least one computer between two Group C employees.
Procurement of Laptop/ Note Book computers for field officers
It is proposed to provide Lap top/ Note Book PC to filed officers for timely transmission of filed data the servers
A seminar for knowledge sharing is proposed to be organized during the initial stages of the Plan where in experts from different domains would be invited to share their experiences and knowledge.
During the development phase of the application workshops with users and developers would be organized so that the users would effectively participate in the development process
For the successful implementation and operationlisation of the system TOT and end users training would be organized at Faridabad and Regional offices of CGWB.
Operation and Maintenance
CGWB IT Plan is proposed to be implemented through a collaborative Project with NIC. Hardware, Software and peripherals would be procured through NICSI or DGS&D Rate Contract. Design and Development of all of the above mentioned web-enabled applications would be taken up through NIC either by hiring man power or through outsourcing.