CENTRAL GROUND WATER BOARD
Highlights for the month of February, 2013
Participation/Organized Workshop, Seminars, Symposium, Training and Conference
- Shri O.P.Poonia Scientist ”C” of Central Ground Water Board, Western Region, Jaipur attended two days workshop on “usage of Ground Water Maps (HGM) prepared under Rajiv Gandhi National water Mission (RGNDWM) project at NRSC, Hyderabad organized by Regional Remote Sensing Service Center–West, Jodhpur during 20th to 21st Feburuary,2013. Shri O. P. Poonia has also delivered a lecture on “Ground Water scenario of Rajasthan and Challenges in drinking water supply.”
- Shri P.K.Parchure, Regional Director and Dr.Uma Kapoor, Scientist “D” and Shri.Rana Chatterjee, Scientist “D” of Central Ground Water Board, Western Region, Jaipur attended “Brain Storming session on restructuring of State Ground Water Department, Government of Rajasthan” on 22.02.2013 at Jaipur.
- Shri. A. Subburaj, Scientist`D’ of Central Ground Water Board, South East Coastal Region attended the State Credit Seminar organized by National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development at Chennai on 06.02.2013.
- A workshop on conservation of water, Hydrology and Environmental issues for sustainable mining was conducted by SECL at Bishrampur on 23rd February 2013. Regional Director, NCCR was the Chief Guest on the occasion and made presentation on ground water issues pertaining to mining in Koriya and Surguja districts. He also highlighted the issues pertaining to mine dewatering and its impact on ground water regime. During his presentation he also highlighted the revised guidelines of CGWA and its evaluation procedure of mine dewatering. Shri Chakraborty, Scientist ’C’ made presentation on importance of RWH & Artificial Recharge which is essential for mining industries and also highlighted the optimal utilization of dewatering for recharge to ground water and augmenting water supply to the villages. On 24th February 2013, Regional Director and Shri D. Chakraborty along with the officers of SECL visited the mining sites to assess the intervention made by the SECL for augmenting ground water around the mine areas. During the field visit few additional suggestions were made by the Regional Director and the same were agreed upon by the SECL for implementation.
- A one day workshop on “Ground Water Management and Regulation-Challenges Ahead” was organized on 21st February, 2013 at Amaravati by CGWB, CR, Nagpur. Dr.Mohan Khedkar, Vice Chancellor, Sant Gadge Baba Amaravati University, Amravati was the Chief Guest of the inaugural function. Shri Pradeep Dube, Regional Director, Central Region, Nagpur presided over the function. Shri Ashok Lokhande, Joint Director, Agriculture Department, Amravati and Shri Ajay Karve, Deputy Director, Groundwater Surveys and Development Agency Amravati were Guest of Honour. During the workshop 9 papers were presented on various topics. About 90 participants/ students from various Central /State Govt. Offices.
- Central Ground water Board, Uttaranchal Region, Dehradun organized a one day workshop on “Ground Water Management in Uttarakhand” on 15th February, 2013 at Dehradun. Sh. Vijay Bahuguna, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Uttarakhand was the Chief Guest of the function. Shri Harish Rawat, Hon’ble Union Minister of Water Resources presided over the function. Shri Sushil Gupta, Chairman CGWB was the special invitee.
- Shri A.K. Bhatia, Regional Director, Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended the State Credit Seminar organized by NABARD on 21st February, 2013.
- A workshop was organized by Central Ground water Board, North Eastern Region, Guwahati on Ground Water Resource Development & Management in NER. Dr. A.D.Patgiri, Professor, Geological Science, Guwahati University was the Chief Guest, Shri A.B.Paul, Ex Chief Engineer, PHED, Govt of Assam, Chairman Pollution Control Board, Govt of Assam were the Guest of Honour.
High Yielding Aquifers Explored:
Board has explored high yielding aquifers in the Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra States under its scientific exploratory drilling programme, based on Hydrogeological studies and utilizing remote sensing and geophysical techniques:-
- A high yielding well constructed at Kerwa village, Korba Block, Korba district has yielded a high discharge of 360 lpm. The site was pin pointed by using integrated approaches. This well can cater to drinking water requirements of a population of about 3600 (@ 60 lpcd for ten hours of pumping a day) in the area.
- An observation well was drilled at Ashti Taluka, Wardha district down to a depth of 143.80m bgl has yielded a high discharge of 266 LPM in the formation of Fractured Basalt. This well can cater to drinking water requirements of a population of about 2600 (@ 60 lpcd for ten hours of pumping a day) in the area.
Rajiv Gandhi National Ground Water Training & Research Institute:
The following training courses have been conducted at RGNGWTRI, Raipur during February 2013:-
- A one week training course on “Preparation of aquifer Management Plan for Soft and Hard Rocks” was successfully completed on 8th February, 2013 (February 4-8, 2013)at Central Ground Water Board, RGI, Raipur. 15 participants (14 from State Govt. and 1 from other Central Govt. organization) have attended the training course.
- Two week training course on “Mathematical Modeling of Ground Water System” was successfully completed on 22nd February, 2013(February 11-22, 2013) at Central Ground Water Board, RGI, Raipur. 14 participants (5 from CGWB, 2 from State Govt. and 7 from Academic Institution) have attended the training course.
Tier II training courses
- One Tier-II training programme on “Aquifer Information System and Management Plan” was successfully organized at Krishi Vigyan Kendra, Ganpat University, Kherwa, Mahesana during 4th to 8th February 2013.
- Tier –II training programme on Aquifer Information System & Management was organized at Bhujal Bhavan, Bangalore during 18th-22nd February 2013. Totally 42 trainees were imparted technical training on Aquifer management by the Officers of SWR. Representatives from various Central and state departments such as GSI, PRED, DMG, Water Shed Development Department, representatives from academic institutions, NGOS, public sectors and progressive farmers attended the training.
- A four days Tier-II training programme at Una, district was successfully organized during 04.02.2013 to 8.02.2013.
- A four days Tier-II training programme at Dharamsala, district Kangra was successfully organized during 18.02.2013 to 22.02.2013.
Tier III training courses
- A two days tier III training programme on “Village level Aquifer Management Plan” is being organized by Central Ground Water Board, Jaipur, Ministry of Water Resources, Govt. of India at Dausa, Rajasthan on 27.02.2013 and 28.02.13 more than 300 participants from different field was trained and certificates given to them.
- One Tier-III training programme on “Village Level Aquifer Management Plan” was successfully organized at Mahakali Temple Hall, Modhera, Mahesana during 25th and 26th February 2013.
- Central Ground Water Board, Southern Region, Hyderabad organized the following 3-Tier Training Programmes on “Village Level Aquifer Management Plan”
04.02.2013 & 05.02.2013 Narkatpally (Mahatma Gandhi University),
11.02.2013 & 12.02.2013 Suryapet, Nalgonda District, AP
18.02.2013 & 19.02.2013 Banaganapally, Kurnool District, AP
21.02.2013 & 22.02.2013 Dhone, Kurnool District, AP
- The second III Tier Training Programme on “Village Level Aquifer Management plan” was organized at Karaikal, U.T . of Puducherry on 18th and 19th February 2013. Shri. K. Mathiazhagan, Addl. Director, Dept. of Agriculture, Karaikal, U.T Of Puducherry inaugurated the programme. About 200 persons participated in the programme out of which 50 were women. Students from various schools participated in competitions like drama, elocutions on water conservation theme.
- The third III Tier Training Programme on “Village Level Aquifer Management plan” was organized at Annur, Coimbatore District on 25th and 26th February 2013. Shri. K. Selvam, Asst. Director, Dept. of Rural Development, Coimbatore presided over the inaugural function of the programme. About 170 persons participated in the programme out of which 60 were women. Students from various schools participated in competitions like drama, elocutions on water conservation theme.
- The VI Tier-III training programme was held at Gokak, Belgaum district during 20-21st February, 2013.Totally 186 trainees participated in the training programme.
- A two days Tier-III training programme at Una, district was successfully organized during 01.02.2013 & 02.02.2013.
- A two days Tier-III training programme organized at Warud, Amravati district on 12.02.2013 and 13.02.2013. Shri Nilesh Magarde, Chairman, Panchayat Samiti, Warud was the Chief Guest, Shri A.M. Savne, Senior Geologist, GSDA, Amaravati was the guest of honour. Shri Saurabh Gupta, Scientist D presided over the function. The training was attended by 210 person representing the various Govt./Non-Govt. organizations.
- One day awareness raising training programme under Hydrology Project II
One day awareness raising training programme was conducted under Hydrology Project-II on ‘Artificial Recharge to Ground Water & Ground Water Management’ at Raipur on dated 7th February, 2013. 24 number of trainees from Ravi Shankar University, NIT and Agricultural college attended the training.
- Visit of Shri G. Mohan Kumar, IAS, Special Secretary (WR)
Shri G. Mohan Kumar, IAS, Special Secretary (WR), Government of India, New Delhi participated the Colloquium on National Water Framework Law at Administrative College of India (ASCI), Hyderabad on 25.02.2013. Sri G. Sudarshan, Supdtg. Hydrogeologist & Head of Office accompanied the Special Secretary (WR) and also attended the Colloquium Meeting.
- Visit of Parliamentary Standing Committee on Water Resources at Chennai, Bangalore and North East States
- Parliamentary Standing Committee on Water Resources visited Chennai on 02nd & 3rd February 2013. Central Ground Water Board, South East Coastal Region, Chennai made all logistical arrangements as the nodal department during the On Spot Study Visit of Parliamentary Standing Committee on Water Resources. The committee visited Chembarambakkam Lake maintained by PWD (WRO) and Rain Water Harvesting site in the campus of NITTTR, Chennai funded by Central Ground Water Board under Demonstrative Artificial Recharge Scheme. The Committee had discussions with the State Government Departments, CWC, CGWB and NWDA on 02.02.13 in which Secretary, PWD, Govt. of Tamil Nadu, Shri. Ashis Chakravarthy, Member(ED&MM) and Regional Director of SECR participated.
- Parliamentary Standing Committee on Water Resources visited Bangalore during 3rd-4th February 2013. As Nodal Department, CGWB, SWR organized the complete arrangement for the visit and meeting. Other departments which were involved were CWC, NWDA and State departments. The team visited Rain Water Harvesting theme park of BWSSB, Jayanagar, Bangalore on 3.2.2013. They visited Mysore palace, Krishnaraja sagar Dam, Srirangapatna and held discussions with Chief Engineer, Cauvery Neeravari Nigama Limited and Deputy Commissioner of Mandya district. The team conducted on spot study of Rain water harvesting and Water Harvesting measures implemented in the campus of ISRO and DTRTI, Bangalore during forenoon on 4.2.2013. The Meeting was attended by Secretary (Water Resources), Govt. of Karnataka representatives from WRD, DMG, Major & Minor Irrigation, Agriculture Dept, Water Shed Department, Water and Land Management Institute, Jalsamwardhana Yojana Sangha, Cauvery Neeravari Nigama Limited, WRDO, KNNL, KBJNL and representatives from Central Government departments such as, CGWB, CWC and NWDA were also present in the meeting. During the meeting presentations were given by Minor Irrigation department (State Govt.), Krishna Bhagya Jala Nigama Limited and NWDA. Dr K.Md,Najeeb, Regional Director and Nodal Officer of Parliamentary visit, gave a presentation on achievements of CGWB, SWR and highlighted the measures taken up by the department in national Aquifer Mapping, Water Harvesting projects, Campaigning on Water harvesting. Chairman and Other Members of the committee appreciated the arrangements and hospitality extended to them during their stay at Bangalore.
- The Hon’ble Minister of Water Resources Shri H.Rawat & Members of Parliamentary consultative committee visited NER on 13th February, 2013 . The Chairman CGWB and Chairman Brahmaputra Board attended meeting. On 14th the Committee visited Majuli Island.
- Visit of Chairman, CGWB to Chennai
Shri Sushil Gupta, Chairman, CGWB visited Chennai for attending the Eighth R&D meeting of Indian National Committee on Ground Water (INCGW) organized at Rajaji Bhavan, Chennai on 06.02.2013. Regional Director of SECR and other members of INCGW and the Project Investigators attended the meeting.
The 4th R&D Session of INCGW was organized at Rajaji Bhavan, Chennai on 07.02.2013 and 08.02.2013 to review the progress of ongoing schemes. The R&D Session of INCGW was conducted on 07.02.2013 followed by a field visit on next day (08.02.2013). The Chairman, CGWB presided over the inaugural function. The Vice Chancellor, Anna University was the Chief Guest and inaugurated the function. PIs, Academicians and Research Scholars from various institutions and professionals from central and state government organisations participated in the R&D Session. The committee member had field visit to Nemmeli Desalination Plant and Voyalur Subsurface Dyke site constructed by PWD in Kancheepuram district on 08.02.2013.
Other Important Meetings
Central Ground Water Board, Western Region hosted periodical meeting of Inter Media Publicity Coordination Committee (IMPCC) on 26.02.2013.The meeting was organized by Press information Bureau, Govt. of India, Jaipur. Scientist D attended the meeting.The Regional Director (i/c) Central Ground Water Board, West Central Region, Ahmedabad attended the Core Group Meeting of the Kheralu Water Security Pilot Project at Circuit House Mahesana held on 8th February 2013.
- The Regional Director (i/c) along with Shri Babu Nair, Scientist-D Central Ground Water Board, West Central Region, Ahmedabad attended the Road show organized by Central Water Commission on 22nd February 2013 at Bhaikaka Bhawan, near Parimal Garden, Ahmedabad.
- Scientist-C of Central Ground Water Board, Southern Region, Hyderabad attended the 8th STA Meeting for Clearance of Works in the office of Chief Engineer, RWS&S, Govt. of Andhra Pradesh at Hyderbaad on 01.02.2013.
- Scientist-C of Central Ground Water Board, Southern Region, Hyderabad attended 7th State level HDUG Meeting at Godavari Conference Hall, Office of the Commissioner, CADA, Hyderabad on 05.02.2013.
- Scientist-D of Central Ground Water Board, Southern Region, Hyderabad attended the Meeting on “Implementation of National Water Mission in AP” organized by the I&CAD, Government of Andhra Pradesh on 26.02.2013 at Hyderabad. Sri G. Mohan Kumar, I.A.S., Special Secretary, MoWR, Government of India, New Delhi, chaired the Meeting.
- Joint meeting on “Dynamic Ground Water Resources Estimation of Tamil Nadu” was held on 11.02.2013 between the Chief Engineer, State Ground and Surface Water Resources Data Centre and Regional Director, CGWB at Chennai.
- The Regional Director of Central Ground Water Board, south East Coastal Region, Chennai attended the Presentation of Research Studies forwarded by TNSLUB and Environment Protection & Renewable Energy Fund organized by State Planning Commission at Chennai on 11.02.2013.
- Regional Director and Scientist D of Central Ground Water Board, South Western Region, Bangalore attended Panel discussion on “ Water Challenges in Urban Karnataka” as Special invitees on 26.2.2013 at Bangalore. The meet was organized by an NGO” Swaraj”.
- Meeting was held on 1.02.2013 with Collector, Durg for clearance of ground water withdrawal in respect of M/s Anshu Water Packing Industry. The meeting was attended by Scientists of Central Ground Water Board, North Central Chhattisgarh Region, Raipur wherein after deliberation the clearance of DLEC was accorded to the firm.
- Scientists of Central Ground Water Board, Central Region, Nagpur attended a meeting at Groundwater Surveys and Development Agency (GSDA) at Pune during 13th to 15th February, 2013 for reconciliation and finalization of Ground Water Resource Assessment 2011. During the meeting, ground water resource estimations were scrutinized and the discrepancies found were corrected. The draft summary of the assessment was also finalized.
- Regional Director, Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended the Interviews held at Public Health Engineering Department as Member of Interview Board on 8th February, 2013.
- Regional Director and Scientists of Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended meeting with Deputy Commissioner, Hoshiarpur on 9th February, 2013 at Hoshiarpur regarding Water Pollution due to Randhawa Distillery in and around the area.
- Scientists of Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended the District Advisory Committee meeting called by Deputy Commissioner, Ludhiana, Punjab on 11th & 21st February, 2013.
- Regional Director and Scientists of Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended the State Evaluation Committee meeting for approval of Dynamic and Total Ground Water Resources Estimation, Chandigarh as on 31st March, 2011 held under the Chairmanship of Financial Commissioner Administration.