CENTRAL GROUND WATER BOARD
Highlights for the month of September, 2013
Participation/Organized Workshop, Seminars, Symposium, Training and Conference.
- Five officers of Central Ground Water Board, Northern Region, Lucknow attended a workshop on “Awareness for India WRIS web Portal” Organized by CWC, MoWR, GOI at Irrigation Office Conference Hall, Cantonment Road, Lucknow.
- Shri K B Biswas, Regional Director, CGWB, Lucknow, Shri S. Marwaha, Suptdg. Hg. & Shri Upendra Srivastava, Sc C submitted a scientific paper on ‘‘Need for management of Blue-Green water resource for sustaining agricultural growth in Uttar Pradesh, India’ for International Seminar Proposed to be held at Chandigarh, which has been accepted.
- Dr K. Md. Najeeb, Regional Director, D. Subba Rao, Supdt HG , Dr. K.R.Sooryanarayana Sc-D, Sri S.S. Hedge, Sc-C and Smt. Bijimole Jose of Central Ground Water Board, South Western Region, Bangalore attended the GSI Seminar on “50 years of GSI’s contribution to Geo Science of Karnataka and Goa” on 20.9.2013 and 21.9.2013. Dr K. Md. Najeeb, Regional Director presented a paper on “Ground water studies and research in Karnataka”.
- CGWB, SWR organized a Workshop on Aquifer Mapping to the officers and technical staff of Department of Mines and Geology on 26.9.2013, Khanija Bhawan, Bangalore. Technical presentations covering National Aquifer Mapping areas, Data Gap analysis, Pilot Project studies on Aquifer mapping and Power points presentations were delivered. Totally 45 nos of participants were trained.
- Shri G. Sudarshan, Head of Office along with Dr. P.N. Rao, Scientist D of Central Ground Water Board, Southern Region, Hyderabad attended workshop on purpose driven studies on “Urban Hydrogeology of Hussain Sagar Watershed” held on 17.09.2013 at Jalsoudha, Hyderabad.
- Dr. Poonam Sharma, Scientist D and Head of Office of Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended workshop on “Enhancing Water Use Efficiency in Yamuna Basin at New Delhi on 30.08.2013.
- Dr. M.A. Farooqi, Scientist B of CGWB, Shillong and Dr. S. Shekhar, Scientist B, CGWB, Faridabad attended and presented Scientific paper in 40th International Association of Hydrogeologists Congress (IAH-2013) at Perth, Australia during September 15-20, 2013.
- High Yielding Aquifers Explored:
Board has explored high yielding aquifers in the Maharashtra, West Bengal, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh States under its scientific exploratory drilling programme, based on Hydrogeological studies and utilizing remote sensing and geophysical techniques:-
A well(piezometer) drilled at Newasa Phata, Newasa Taluka, Ahmednagar District down to a depth of 40.00m bgl has yielded a high discharge of 864 liter per minute in the formation of Vesicular and Jointed Basalt.
A well drilled at Bhabanipur, Bagda Block, N 24 Parganas District has yielded a high discharge of 1500 liter per minute. This well can cater to drinking water requirements of a population of about 15000 (@ 60 lpcd for ten hours of pumping a day) in the area.
- One Observation Well drilled at Kunnamkattumpathy, Palakkad district with depth 100m and high discharge of 300 liter per minute. The formation encountered is Hornblendeb-Biotite gneiss. This well can cater to drinking water requirements of a population of about 3000 (@ 60 lpcd for ten hours of pumping a day) in the area.
- One Observation Well drilled at Kadukunnam OW, Palakkad district with depth 100m and high discharge of 504 liter per minute. The formation encountered is Hornblende-Biotite gneiss. This well can cater to drinking water requirements of a population of about 5000 (@ 60 lpcd for ten hours of pumping a day) in the area.
Two Wells drilled at Korremula and Thimmaipalli of Ranga Reddy district with high discharge of 210 liter per minute and 390 liter per minute in the granitic formation. Thees wells can cater to drinking water requirements of a population of about 2000 and 3900 (@ 60 lpcd for ten hours of pumping a day) in the area.
Rajiv Gandhi National Ground Water Training & Research Institute:
The following training courses have been conducted at RGNGWTRI, Raipur during September, 2013:
A One week training course on ‘Rain Water Harvesting and Artificial Recharge’ was successfully completed on 6th September, 2013 (2-6 September, 2013) at RGI, Raipur. 17 participants (3 from PSU, 1 from Academic Institution and 13 from State Govt.) have attended the training course.
- A One week training course on ‘Remote Sensing & GIS Applications for Ground Water Studies’ was successfully completed on 13th September, 2013(September 9-13, 2013) at RGI, Raipur. 22 participants (6 from CGWB, 10 from State Govt., 2 from PSU and 4 from Academic Institution) have attended the training course.
- A One week training course on ‘Application of Surface Geophysical Techniques for Aquifer mapping’ was successfully completed on 20th September, 2013(September 16-20, 2013) at RGI, Raipur . 21 participants (4 from CGWB, 12 from State Govt., 2 from PSU and 3 from Academic Institution) have attended the training course.
- A One week training course on ‘Application of Borehole Geophysical Techniques for Aquifer mapping’ was successfully completed on 27th September, 2013(September 23-27, 2013) at RGI, Raipur. 25 participants (4 from CGWB, 11 from State Govt., 7 from PSU and 3 from Academic Institution) have attended the training course.
Organised the Inaugural function of Heli-borne Geophysical Survey in the pilot project area, Baswa-Bandikui, Dausa district
The Inaugural function of Heli-borne Geophysical Survey in the pilot project area, Baswa-Bandikui, Dausa district was organized on 27.09.2013 at Dausa. Sh. Harish Rawat, Hon'ble Union Minister of Water Resources, graced the occasion as Chief Guest and Sh. Ashok Gehlot, Hon'ble Chief Minister, Rajasthan presided over the function. Mr. Freddy Svane, H.E. The Ambassador of Denmark in India, Dr. Jeetendra Singh, Hon’ble Minister of Energy, Non-Conventional Energy, PHED, GWD, Information and Public Relations, Govt. of Rajasthan, Sh. Murari Lal Meena, Hon’ble Minister of State for Technical Education(Agriculture), Motor Garage, Estate, State Insurance, ESI (Independent Charge), Govt. of Rajasthan graced the occasion as Guest of Honour.
Sh Sushil Gupta,Chairman, Central Ground Water Board, Dr. Bhaskar Rao, Director-Incharge (NGRI), Dr. Shakeel Ahmed, Chief Scientist (NGRI), Dr. R. C. Jain , Member(SAM), Sh. Ashish Chakarvarty, Member(ED&M), Sh.Arun Kumar, Member(CGWA), Dr. Purushottam Agarwal, Principal Secretary, PHED & GWD Govt. of Rajasthan, Sh. Sanjeev Sharma, DDG GSI, Sh.P.K.Parchure Regional Director CGWB, Western Region, Jaipur, officers of MoWR, CGWB, State Ground Water Department, PHED and other State Govt. Department also graced the function. In the Inaugural function mass gathering of local public, farmers and stake holders of water were present. Live demonstration of Heli-borne Geophysical equipment was flagged off by the Hon’ble Minister (WR).
Approval of the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) for implementation of Ground Water Management and Regulation Scheme during XII Five Year Plan.
The Central Sector Scheme on Ground Water Management and Regulation of Ministry of Water Resources has been approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) for an Outlay of Rs 3319 Crore for implementation during the XII Five Year Plan. The scheme envisages component of Aquifer Mapping, Participatory Ground Water Management, Procurement for technological up-gradation and Ground Water Regime Monitoring, Assessment, Regulation, Seminars, Publication, Awards etc.
Aquifer mapping will be carried out in 8.89 lakh sq.km during XII Plan in various parts of the country in priority areas like over-exploited, critical, coastal, urban and hilly areas. The procurement of digital topo sheets from Survey of India is under process during the year 2013-14. Based on data collection and data compilation, data gap has been identified in respect of Geophysical Survey in 66617 Sq. Km; exploration in 81847 Sq. Km; water level monitoring in 83563 Sq.km; Hydrogeology (aquifer parameters) in 61477 Sq. Km during 2013-14 up to September, 2013.
The field activities are already taken up for data generation and the physical progress of all the important activities through in-house resources in 0.54 lakh sq km priority areas during 2013-14. Vertical Electrical Sounding (VES)- 577 numbers, Bore Hole Logging-37 numbers, Exploratory drilling of wells - 272 numbers and 10744 Water samples have been analyzed up to September,2013.
CGWB participated in the Krishi Mela organized by University of Agricultural Science, Dharwad
CGWB, SWR, Bangalore participated during the Krishi Mela organized by University of Agricultural Science, Dharwad through an exhibition cum awareness stall from 21.09.2013 to 24.09.2013. The Mela was inaugurated by Honorable Chief Minister of Karnataka. Dr K. Md. Najeeb, Regional Director participated as Guest of Honour during the function held on 23.9.2013. Dr K.R. Sooryanarayana, Sc-D, A. Suresha, Sc-B, Dr J. Davithuraj, Sc-B, Sri P.S. Narahari, Sr. Surveyor participated as a resource person during the Mela. Working models on rain water harvesting, artificial recharge models were displayed in the CGWB stall which was visited by dignitaries like Dr Rajendra Singh, Vice Chancellor, UAS, Dharwad and large numbers of farmers.
CGWB participated in National Exhibition at Howrah
Officers & officials of CGWB, Eastern Region, Kolkata actively participated in 17th National Exhibition on the theme of ‘India Advancing towards a World Power’ w.e.f. 21st to 25th September 2013 at Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandir Ground, Belur Math, Howrah, West Bengal, organized by Central Calcutta Science & Culture Organization for Youth, Kolkata. Various active models, posters etc were displayed and technical matters were explained to visitors. Shri S.K.Samanta, Scientist ‘D’, CGWB, ER, Kolkata had received an ‘Award of Participation’ along with a Certificate from Dr. Manas Ranjan Bhunia, MLA, Chief Guest of the Valedictory Ceremony held on 25.09.2013.
Visit of Chairman, CGWB at SUO, Pune
Shri Sushil Gupta, Chairman CGWB visited Central Ground Water, SUO, Pune on 18th September, 2013 and inaugurated the Hindi Rajbhasha Pakhwada. During the visit he also reviewed the progress of Central Region, Nagpur and SUO, Pune.
Visit of Member(SAM), CGWB at Jaipur
A meeting was convened by Dr.R.C.Jain , Member(SAM) CGWB in the chamber of Regional Director, CGWB, WR, Jaipur on 28.09.2013. In the meeting progress of various activities of AAP 2013-14 was reviewed and deliberations on the implementation plan of various activities of NAQUIM was discussed at length. In the meeting Sh.P.K.Parchure, RD,CGWB WR, Dr.S.K.Jain Suptd.HG, Dr.S.Suresh, Suptd.HG, Sh.Upendra Shrivastava, Sc-C, Sh.Rajesh Chandra,Sc-C, CGWB CHQ, Faridabad and Sh.I.K. Sharma Sc-D, Sh.Waseem Ahmed Sc-D, Sh.Rana Chaterjee, Sc-D, Sh.O.P.Poonia Sc-C, Dr.Rakesh Kushwaha,Sc-C, Sh.Ramakishan Sc-C, Dr.S.L.Dhabhai Sc-C, Dr. A.K.Jain Sc-B, Dr.L.K.Mathur Sc-B and Sh.Sujeet Kumar Sc-B, CGWB, WR were present.
Visit of Regional Director (RGI) & Member(I/C) at Lucknow
Mrs Anita Gupta, Regional Director (RGI) & Member(I/c), Central Ground Water Board, Faridabad visited Northern Region, Lucknow and interacted with officers and also reviewed the progress of the Region.
राजभाषा हिन्दी सप्ताह-2013 का आयोजन
- हिन्दी दिवस के अवसर पर केन्द्रीय भूमि जल बोर्ड मध्य क्षेत्र एवं प्रभाग ६ कार्यालय ने दिनांक 16 से 20 सितम्बर 2013 तक संयुक्त रूप से राजभाषा सप्ताह का आयोजन किया। कार्यक्रम का उदघाटन कार्यालय प्रमुख डॉ प्रभात कुमार जैन द्वारा 16 सितम्बर 2013 को किया गया। इस शुभवसर पर प्रभाग ६ के कार्यपालक अभियंता श्री बी पी मथाड़ प्रमुख रूप से उपस्थित थे।
सप्ताह के दौरान निबंध लेखन, शब्द ज्ञान, वर्ग पहेली, सुंदर लेखन, अंताक्षरी, जल स्लोगन, कविता पाठ आदि प्रतियोगिताओं का आयोजन किया गया था।
सप्ताह का समापन दिनांक 23/9/2013 को किया गया। इस दौरान प्रतियोगिताओं में विजयी प्रतियोगियों को पुरस्कारों से नवाजा गया। समापन कार्यक्रम में कुल 68 पुरस्कारों का वितरण किया गया। समापन समारोह में डॉ संजीव कुमार गोयल, प्रधान वैज्ञानिक, नीरी तथा सचिव नराकास, नागपुर प्रमुख अतिथि के रूप मे मौजूद थे। उन्होने इस दौरान कहा की भाषा के प्रयोग के दौरान अगर आपके भाव अच्छे होंगे तो उसका समाज पर उतनाही अच्छा प्रभाव पड़ेगा। कार्यक्रम में मध्य क्षेत्र एवं प्रभाग 6 कार्यालयों के सभी अधिकारी एवं कर्मचारी उपस्थित थे।
- As a part Hindi Fortnight Celebrations organized in the Central Ground Water Board, Kerala Region, the Region Participated in the the Hindi Exhibition conducted by the Hindi Prachar Sabha and secured second prize from among the participants of Central Government Departments.
- Hindi Week was celebrated with great enthusiasm from 16.9.2013 to 20.9.2013 at CGW, SWR, Bangalore. Many Competitions like Hindi translation, Handwriting, Singing and Quiz were organized among the officers and staff to popularize and propagate Hindi as official language. Cash awards were given to the winners and participants to encourage the usage of Hindi in the valedictory and prize distribution ceremony on 23.9.2013 by Smt. K.R. Vijayalaxmi, Hindi Teacher, Attibele, Bangalore.
- “Hindi Pakhwara” 2013 was celebrated in Central Ground Water Board, CHQ Faridabad from 14th to 28th September 2013. During the function various competitions relating to official language Hindi were organized viz. Hindi Noting, Hindi Essay writing, Quiz, Translation, Hindi Typing, debate etc. In addition to this two competitions namely Hindi Language Knowledge and Quiz were also organized for multi tasking staff. All the officers and staff showed keen interest in the above competition. On this occasion the school children of Kendriya Vidhyalaya 2, Faridabad demonstrated small dance/natak on the theme of conserve water. The prize distribution ceremony was organized on 1st October 2013. The winners of the competition were awarded by Shri Sushil Gupta, Chairman CGWB. Senior officers were also present during prize distribution ceremony. Shri U.V. Singh, OL welcome all the distinguished guest and briefed the activities during the Pakhwara. Vote of thanks was given by Shri Rakesh Gupta, AD(OL).
- Sh. G.P. Singh, Scientist B of Office of Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh delivered lectures on 24th September, 2013 on “Water Conservation, Rain Water Harvesting including involment of Industries and Institutions in Drive” and “Mapping of Under Ground Water” at DRUM Training Programme held by BBMB, Nangal.
- Sh. G. Sudarshan, Head of Office of Central Ground Water Board, Southern Region, Hyderabad delivered lecture on “Ground Water Issues and Challenges” organized by Osmania University, Hyderabad on 6th September, 2013.
Training course on “Advanced Watershed Modeling in Water resources” attended by Scientist
Sri H.P. Jayaprakash, Scientist-C of Central Ground Water Board, SWR, Bangalore attended training course on “Advanced Watershed Modeling in Water resources” held at National Water Academy, Pune from 23.09.2013 to 27.09.2013.
Other Important Meetings
Shri G.C.Pati, Regional Director, Eastern Region, Kolkata attended Second Meeting of the Central Level Expert Group for overall re-assessment of ground water resources of the country on 25.09.2013 at Central Ground Water Board, Jamnagar House, Man Singh Road, New Delhi.
- Regional Director, Dr Nandakumaran P., Central Ground water Board, Kerala Region, Ttrivendrum Chaired a Panel on Water, Energy and Waste Management in the Global Village Summit organized by the Amritha University at Amrithapuri Campus, Kollam on 25.9.2013. The Summit was inaugurated by His Excellency, Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Former President of India.
- Smt Mini Chandran, Sc C of Central Ground water Board, Kerala Region, Ttrivendrum attended the DLEC meeting on 9.9.2013 at the District Collectorate, Kollam for granting permission to proposals of 6 Packaged Drinking Water Units.
- Shri S.K.Verma, Sc ’C’ of Central Ground Water Board, NCCR, Raipur has attended the District Level Technical Co-ordination Committee meeting on Construction of Demonstrative Artificial Recharge Structures under Central Sector Scheme on 24/09/2013 at the Chamber of Chief Executive officer, Bilaspur.
- Shri O.N Tiwari, Sc ’D’ of Central Ground Water Board, NCCR, Raipur has attended Geological Programming Board meeting in the conference hall of Geology and Mines dept. Raipur on 12th September,2013.
- Shri Prashant Rai, Scientist C & Shri Saidul Haq, Sc B of Central Ground Water Board, Northern Region, Lucknow inspected 12 no. of infrastructure development projects in NOIDA & G NOIDA area of UP to verify complaint regarding violation of CGWA Notification and submitted a report to the Member Secretary, CGWA in this regard.
- Shri A K Budhaulia, Sc D & Dr Vikas Ranjan, Sc C of Central Ground Water Board, Northern Region, Lucknow attended State Technical Advisory Committee meeting for “Project Approval of RRR Schemes of Sonbhadra district, of UP”, held on 25.9.13 under the chairmanship of Principal Secretary Land Development & Water Resources, Government of UP.
- Shri K B Biswas, Regional Director, CGWB, Northern Region, Lucknow attended 72nd Annual Sugar Convention & Sugar Expo at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan, Lucknow.
- The IXth State Level Technical Coordination Committee (SLTCC) meeting was convened on 11.09.2013 at Secretariat, Chennai for the approval of physical and financial progress of the artificial recharge schemes (under Central Sector Scheme) being implemented in Tamil Nadu during XIth Five year plan and the same has been approved by the committee. The Regional Director of Central Ground Water Board, South East Coastal Region, Chennai and other officers participated in the meeting.
- Shri. T. Balakrishnan, Scientist-D of Central Ground Water Board, South East Coastal Region, Chennai participated in the Sixth State Level Nodal Agency (SLNA) meeting regarding the implementation of Integrated Water Shed Management Programme (IWMP) Projects in Tamil Nadu on 17.09.2013 at 04.00 PM at Secretariat, Chennai.
- D. Subba Rao , Supdt HG and Dr K.R. Sooryanarayana, Scientist D of Central Ground Water Board, SWR, Bangalore attended the State level Sanctioning Committee (SLSSC) meeting of Rural water supply on 02.09.2013 at KRWSSA, Cauvery Bhawan, Bangalore .
- D. Subba Rao, Supdt HG of Central Ground Water Board, SWR, Bangalore attended the 47th State Geological Programming Board Meeting (SGPB) on 16.9.2013 at Department of Mines and Geology, Bangalore.
- Dr K. Md. Najeeb, Regional Director, D. Subba Rao, Supdt HG and Dr. K.R.Sooryanarayana Sc-D of Central Ground Water Board, SWR, Bangalore visited the MLAM area in Tumkur district and interacted with representatives of NGRI, Hyderabad. Exploratory drilling sites were also inspected.
- Dr K. Md. Najeeb, Regional Director and Dr. K.R. Sooryanarayana Sc-D of Central Ground Water Board, SWR, Bangalore inspected the Demonstrative Artificial recharge Studies site at Athani taluk, Belgaum on 21.9.2013.
- Shri G. Sudarshan, Head of Office of Central Ground Water Board, Southern Region, Hyderabad held discussions with Smt. Poonam Malakondiah, IAS, Principal Secretary (PE &SSA), Smt. Usha Rani, IAS, State Project Director, Rajiv Vidhya Mission, Shri K.V. Satyanarayana, IAS, Secretary (APTWREIS), Shri Chinna Veerabharudu, Additional Commissioner, Tribal Welfare Dept., Govt. of Andhra Pradesh, regarding organizing State Level Painting Competition 2013. Correspondence made with all the Heads of the Departments and ensured the circulation about the painting competition throughout Andhra Pradesh.
- Dr. Poonam Sharma, Scientist D and Head of Office of Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended the first meeting for “Isotope studies for delineation of different aquifer groups, their recharge zones and ground water dynamics in parts of Upper Yamuna River Plain” held on 18th September, 2013 under the Chairmanship of the Member(SML) at New Delhi.
- Dr. Poonam Sharma, Scientist D and Head of Office of Central Ground Water Board, North Western Region, Chandigarh attended the second meeting of the Central Level Expert Group for overall reassessment of Ground Water Resources of the country under the Chairmanship of Chairman, CGWB on 25th September, 2013.